The Floor Bed Starter Pack
I wrote recently about our adventures with floor beds. I wanted to follow-up and share with you what I consider “must haves” in order to safely and peacefully get started with a floor bed. This is my first post featuring affiliate links, which means if you click one of the links and buy the item, I will get a small amount of money. The products I am recommending are in no way influenced by this program, the opinions I share here are 100% my own. This just helps me keep funding more new projects and fun content to share with y’all. So without further ado, here they are:
- Nest Cam Indoor security camera is responsible for my maintaining my sanity while chugging along with this floor bed thing. The display is available on your smart phone or computer, so there is no weird unsecured channel broadcasting your kid’s room, AND you can check on your kiddo even when you’re out of the house. This has been great when we go out, because we can see that the babysitter managed to get our kiddo to sleep, which makes for a much more relaxing date! It has amazing night vision, zoom capabilities, has handy wall mounting hardware so you can get a full view of the room and whatever corner your kiddo may be curled up in, which is crucial if you are ever going to get any sleep while your little one is in a floor bed. A huge bonus of this vs other video monitors are the notifications; you get sound and motion notifications on your phone, so you don’t have to listen to the hiss of the monitor all night to keep tabs on your kid. I seriously can’t rave enough about this thing. Also when your kid is older you can use it as a security camera. My parents actually have one to keep an eye on their dog! (the featured image for this post is a screen grab from the Nest Cam.)
- Twin Door Outlet Box: while everyone embarking on baby proofing knows about the little outlet guards that stick into each socket, when you have a floor bed you have to bring babyproofing to a whole new level. While in rooms with cribs you might be able to plug in a lamp, no problem, when your kid is in a floor bed they can get to EVERYTHING. This handy thingy keeps your outlets safe while allowing you to still use them.
- Safety 1st Furniture Wall Straps: Again, your kid can get to everything! Make sure all the furniture in the room is secured.
- SlumberSafe Bamboo Sleeping Bag with Feet: This was a total game changer for us, and really the beginning of floor bed success. The strong sleep association, the cozy moveable blanket factor, the slight softening of little sleep movements that might otherwise wake him up, all of these have combined into a really snuggly and adorable must have for us. This is great for floor beds specifically because your kid can still walk in it if they decide to roam about.
- This last one we didn’t have, but I really, really, really wish we had. We went through so many different options trying to prevent rolling out of the bed, keep our little guy feeling secure, and I feel like our early floor bed days would have been so much more peaceful with the DockATot. The pool noodle trick didn’t quite cut it for us. I totally would have traded the Boppy lounger, our organic changing table pad, our fancy diaper pail, and our bassinet in exchange for one of these little nests.
I hope this is helpful! Best wishes on your floor bed journey. Let me know in the comments on Facebook if you try anything here, or if you think I have left something out.