The Instant Pot Stole My Excuses
Instant Pot smashed previous records for Amazon Prime Day sales. As of today there are 381,566 people in the Instant Pot Community Facebook group and another 8,544 in a Facebook group devoted just to vegan Instant Pot recipes. Every news outlet from the New York Times to the Today Show has covered the Instant Pot phenomenon. Due to its popularity, there are plenty of articles out there about what the Instant Pot is and how to use it. This isn’t one of those articles. This is a sigh of resignation, and a goodbye, to many of my best excuses for not cooking.
- I forgot to soak my dry beans. No longer valid, I can cook dry beans in the Instant Pot in under and hour.
- I forgot to thaw meat. Try again, I can cook meat from frozen in the Instant Pot.
- Cooking this slow cooker recipe takes all day, and I forgot to start it this morning. This one doesn’t work either, I can cook recipes that normally only come out well if cooked low and slow in the Instant Pot in under an hour.
- I forgot to make bread dough last night, now it won’t be done rising for 8 hours. Nope, in the Instant Pot I can use the Yogurt function to create a perfect little 90°F sealed area that speeds up proofing time dramatically. I can finish bread in two hours total.
- I planned on steel-cut oats for breakfast, but they take forever, we should probably just go get egg sandwiches. Nope, not going to work anymore, they take 15 minutes in the Instant Pot (as seen in featured image with a dollop of greek yogurt).
- I have everything to make risotto tonight, but I really don’t feel like standing in front of the stove forever. Nice try, but I can make no-stir risotto in 15 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- I need broth for this recipe, but it takes all day to make good broth. Goodbye to this one too, I can make regular broth in 20 minutes and bone broth in under 3 hours.
Once summer comes I won’t even be able to say it’s too hot to cook. Between my system for a well stocked pantry and the Instant Pot, pretty much every excuse not to cook is out the window. I guess I’ll just have to start planning in some take out nights every once in a while.